The Right Surgical Technologist Program Fosters Success
Surgical technologist programs are really taking off. Keep in mind these considerations when you’re looking at a surgical technologist program.
- The school’s reputation. Search online with the name of the surgical technologist program. You’ll readily see what people think about the school and how its education prepared them for their career (or not). You can also talk with current students and industry leaders for their input. Will this surgical technologist program offer what they need in a new hire?
- The quality of the education. Schools that achieve accreditation demonstrate they pass muster. They do what they say they do and it’s verified by a trusted, impartial and independent third party. Always check for accreditation as an earmark of academic quality.
- The qualifications of the teachers. Of course, they should be trained as educators, but they should also exhibit a desire to help students succeed. Search for the instructors online to view student reviews of them and their classes.
- The placement rate of graduates. Ask about the school’s placement rate. A quality surgical technologist program should maintain a high placement rate, which shows their education is top notch and career minded and not just a diploma mill.
- The teacher to student ratio. Especially if you like a hands-on style education, the teacher to student ratio is crucial. Overstuffed classes won’t allow you to interact with the instructor and gain the knowledge you will need for your career. If you’re just another student in a sea of faces, it can be challenging to get routine questions answered and receive any extra help you might need.
- The hands-on opportunities. It’s one thing to hear about what to do. It’s an entirely different matter to actually do it. That’s where the chance to practice hands-on can help bolster a student’s confidence as well as improve future employment opportunities.
- The career advisement. A surgical technologist program augmented by career placement can vastly improve a graduate’s chances of success in obtaining employment.
- The continuing education opportunities. Learning is a lifelong endeavor. The science and technique behind working as a surgical technologist is ever changing and improving to provide better and better service, both to patients and their families, and also to surgeons and the entire healthcare team. A surgical technologist program that offers ongoing education can help graduates continue their success.