Do you want to work in the fast-paced environment of healthcare? As a Surgical Technologist, you will work alongside surgeons, anesthetists, nurses, and other surgery professionals inside the operating room.
You’ll be setting up instruments and equipment, preparing patients for surgery, and helping the surgical team throughout the process. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment as a surgical technologist is growing faster than the average for all occupations *.
If you're considering surgical tech schools, Branford Hall’s Surgical Technology program prepares students for entry-level jobs in clinical settings such as surgical units, surgi-centers, and surgeons’ offices.
All in a Day's Work
As a surgical technologist, you will take part in setting up for surgery, the surgery itself, and the post-operative period. Your tasks may include:
- Preparing the operating room
- Preparing patients for surgery and transporting them to the operating room
- Setting up surgical instruments and equipment, sterile drapes, and sterile solutions
- Assembling both sterile and non-sterile equipment
- Checking and adjusting equipment to ensure that it is working properly
- Observing patients' vital signs, checking charts, and helping the surgical team prepare for the operation
- Passing instruments and other items to surgeons and surgical assistants
- Holding retractors, cutting sutures
- Operating sterilizers, lights, suction machines and diagnostic equipment
- Helping apply dressings
- Helping prepare, care for, and dispose of specimens taken for laboratory analysis
- Transfering patients to the recovery room
- Cleaning and restocking the operating room
Read about the classes you will enroll in, what they cover, and how they prepare you for your new career.
Once you are ready to start your new career, we’ll be there with you every step of the way, from resume, to job search, to interview.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Surgical Technologists, on the Internet at https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/surgical-technologists.htm (visited July 18, 2018).