Becoming a health claims specialist could be in your future
Are you interested in an allied health or healthcare career, but not sure how to get started? Would you like an office-based position rather than being on your feet taking care of patients? If so, a career in the field of medical billing and coding could be a good match for you.
Medical billers and coders—also called health claims specialists—are responsible for processing health insurance claims for doctors’ offices, hospitals, and other healthcare facilities. They typically work in a professional office setting, stationed at a desk working on a computer. They are expected to be organized and pay attention to detail so that claims are handled accurately.
Here are some of the typical responsibilities of medical billing and coding specialists:
- Use a special coding system to choose diagnosis and procedure codes
- Enter the correct codes into patients’ Electronic Health Records
- Review claims to make sure coding is accurate
- Work with other staff members to ensure accuracy
- Enter insurance claims into specialized billing programs
- Interact with patients when insurance matters need to be clarified
- Follow up with insurers about any late payments
- Track payments to make sure reimbursements are received on time
- Keep in tune with changes and advancements in the field
How do you become a medical billing and coding specialist? The good news is that training for this job field can be completed in as little as one year! Programs like the one at Branford Hall Career Institute will train you with the information and skills you need to pursue entry level employment in this field.
When looking for a job in this field, you may find the job titles to differ from employer to employer. The different job titles that you might see advertised as you are searching for jobs include:
- Medical billing and coding specialist
- Medical biller/Medical coder
- Medical records specialist
- Health claims specialist
- Insurance coder
- Medical claims specialist
How do you know if you are a good fit for this career? If you are a detail-oriented person who is committed to doing accurate and careful work, then you have the characteristics you need to succeed in this field. For more information about this interesting career field, try 5 Things to Know about Becoming a Medical Biller or Coder.
For more information, give us a call or contact us online. Your future career path could open new doors for you!